What is the best age to have a hair transplant? Since the nature and cause of baldness is known, hair transplant surgery has become the most effective solution for those cases that have completely lost hairfrom one or more areas of the head.
Men and women of different ages and parts of the world are interested in FUE hair transplant, a practice that offers very natural solutions. However, for different reasons that we will evaluate in this article, not all people are suitable for this procedure.
Age is an important factor in determining the feasibility of a hair transplant, but it is not the only determinant in deciding to move forward with this procedure. For this reason a personalized hair evaluation is essential prior to hair transplant surgery.
Before deciding a patient's suitability for hair transplantation, the doctor will perform an evaluation of the case, which can be in person or online. Thanks to this assessment, the professional will be able to ensure that all the necessary requirements for the success of the hair transplant are met.
Among the necessary requirements to successfully carry out a hair graft surgery, we can find:
- In the first place and as an essential condition, it is necessary that the patient's alopecia is stabilized. This can happen in two ways, through pharmacological treatment (indicated by a doctor), or in a natural way caused by the patient's advanced age.
- Donor area: This is the part of the head that provides the follicular units to be transplanted. Every patient who intends to undergo hair transplant surgery must have a sufficiently dense donor area so that the necessary follicles can be extracted without affecting the patient's appearance.
- Condition of the skin: the skin of the scalp will be evaluated, to verify that it is in good health, suitable to receive the trauma generated by the hair graft surgery.
- General health of the patient: The doctor will assess the patient's state of health, through the analytical tests he considers appropriate. In this way, he will make sure that the patient is in good condition to face the hair transplant. On the other hand, he will be able to identify if it is necessary to take any specific measure for the case.
- Type, color and caliber of the hair: This aspect is of great importance for the final results. According to the type of hair the patient has, more or less follicular units will be needed to achieve the desired density.
- Size of the recipient area: The recipient area is the bald part of the head, which is to be restored. The physician needs to assess the dimensions of the recipient area to estimate the number of follicular units to be extracted.
If the patient meets the necessary conditions for the hair graft operation, the next step will be the implantation design. According to the patient's wishes, facial features and follicular units available, the doctor will propose an initial design for the patient to visualize the expected results.
Humans have between 90,000 and 150,000 hairs in total, and this number can vary between individuals. Normally, hairs are constantly renewed in a cycle that ranges from birth, growth, rest and fall. Each hair that falls out is replaced by a new one that grows from the same follicle that remains under the skin.
Baldness is caused when the hair that falls out is not renewed as often as necessary. Generally, this phenomenon is caused by androgenetic alopecia, a process by which the follicles gradually miniaturize until they disappear.
As is currently known, alopecia is a progressive condition for which there is no definitive cure. However, it is possible to stabilize it and prevent its progression through medical treatments that must be indicated by a professional.
Once alopecia has been stabilized, its progression will stop, but no hair will grow in the areas that have become bald. In these cases, the solution lies in the FUE hair transplant. This technique consists of extracting healthy follicles from a donor area and reimplanting them in the areas to be repopulated.
Androgenetic alopecia is a progressive condition, caused by hormonal causes, which does not have a fixed age of onset. Thus, we can observe young people with advanced baldness and adults over 60 years old with a very preserved hair density.
In cases of baldness, hair transplantation is currently the best solution. It is a minimally invasive and totally safe method since the patient's own hair is used to cover the alopecic areas. In addition, the FUE technique does not generate visible scars, which allows the patient to wear the haircut of his or her choice after hair transplant surgery.
In this context, there are numerous inquiries from younger and younger people interested in having a hair transplant. And it is at this point where the question arises about the minimum age to perform a hair transplant.
Technically, there is no minimum age for a hair implant and the decision must be made on a case-by-case basis. However, as mentioned above, it is of great importance that the patient meets certain characteristics. The main one: the alopecia must be stabilized.
As we mentioned in the previous section, each patient has its own characteristics that determine the suitability or not for hair surgery. Consequently, there will be people who wish to undergo a hair transplant at a very young age, due to their advanced condition of alopecia. On the other hand, some people will never consider it a necessity, thanks to their hair preservation throughout life.
Ideally, the first hair transplant operation should be performed after the age of 24. We establish this minimum ideal age so that the results are long-lasting and, as far as possible, the patient does not need to undergo a new operation.
If the hair transplant is performed at a very young age, in which the alopecia has not advanced and has not been stabilized, it is possible that the patient will continue to lose hair over time. This would inevitably lead to the need for a second hair transplant.
On the other hand, it is possible that a person who is too young may have unrealistic expectations about the results and desire an image that over time would be unnatural for his or her face and age. At this point we emphasize the importance of medical advice, to find a balance between a professional vision and the patient's desire.
In order to offer all our patients a professional and objective view, at Clínica de Freitas the initial evaluation consultation is totally free. In this preliminary instance, the patient will not only know his or her hair health, but will also be able to clear all doubts about the hair transplant surgery.
In case of being suitable, the necessary complementary tests will be started and the hair transplant will be considered. In addition, in case it is necessary to follow a medical treatment prior to surgery, the patient will receive the corresponding indications and prescriptions.
Hair restoration is a process that requires a long experience and specialized training. To make this important decision, trust only in expert hands and receive the professional advice you need.